Successfully Handling Family Law Issues
For More Than 35 Years

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Modifications to Prior Judgments

Modifications To Prior Judgments

Massachusetts law allows you to modify existing orders and prior judgments in family law in a variety of circumstances — whether due to financial changes, loss of employment, relocation, remarriage, a change in the parenting plan impacting the well-being of a child, or any other significant change in circumstances.

Modifying prior judgments require guidance and assistance from a knowledgeable and seasoned attorney. Our law firm was founded by Linda Sternberg, Esquire, an attorney with decades of family law experience. Our lawyers provide quality and professional legal services for clients throughout Massachusetts. We can assist you with modifying your existing arrangement to reflect the current situation in your life.

Child Support

Under Massachusetts law, an existing child support order may be modified if the existing order is more than three years old, if health care coverage is needed for a child (regardless of whether or not a modification is required for weekly child support), or if there is an inconsistency between the amount of the existing order and the amount that would result from application of the current child support guidelines. Any number of changes, including a pay raise, pay cut, job loss, or change in parenting plan could affect whether your existing order is consistent with application of the child support guidelines. The Child Support Guidelines of Massachusetts were revised in 2018, and these revisions could also have on impact on your current support order.

In the event of job loss, substantial change in income or medical/health issues, it is important to seek a modification as soon as your circumstances change. A child support order is a judgment the date it is due and modifications will be prospective. Don’t hesitate to reach out to our office to discuss your options one-on-one.

Child Custody, Parenting Plans, And Relocation Or Removal

Child custody or parenting plan agreements can be modified, particularly in situations of relocation or removal or a substantial change in the needs of the child.

When either parent is seeking to relocate (especially out of state), advanced parental consent or court permission is required. Otherwise, if a parent relocates or removes a child without obtaining consent of the other parent or court approval, he or she could be held in contempt.

Unfortunately, situations also arise involving drug and/or alcohol abuse, domestic violence, child abuse or neglect. These are exigent circumstances that require immediate attention by law enforcement and an experienced attorney. Seek our help as soon as possible if you feel your or your child’s safety is in jeopardy.

Let Us Help You Make The Changes You Need

With over 35 years of experience, our office will guide you through all aspects of your modification to ensure your rights are protected and the best interests of your child are safeguarded. If you believe you have a case to modify an existing family law order or judgment, call the law office of Linda Sternberg, Esquire, at 617-722-8300 or reach out online to speak with us personally. We’re happy to help you.