Successfully Handling Family Law Issues
For More Than 35 Years

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Contempt Actions

Hold the Other Parent Accountable Through Contempt Actions

After a family law judge decides your case, there is nothing stopping the other parent from willfully violating your judgment. In these cases, you may need to file a contempt action for the court to enforce the prior judgment.

At the law firm of Linda Sternberg, Esquire, our attorneys advocate on behalf of Massachusetts clients who have had their divorce, custody, or child support orders violated by the other parent. When another parent or party disregards the court order or agreement, we work with you to secure the outcome you have negotiated or been granted by the court.

Is the Other Parent Non-Compliant with Parenting Time Arrangements?

If your child’s other parent is failing to exercise parenting time or failing to make your child available for your parenting time, you can seek enforcement of the original order, even during the pendency of your court action. A parent can be held in contempt of court for failing to comply with temporary orders or final judgments concerning time with the children.

Has the Other Parent Missed Support Payments?

If you find yourself frustrated due to a former spouse or parent skipping or making late child support payments or other late payments, you can seek enforcement of the original order. A payor spouse or parent can be held in contempt of court for missing child or spousal support/alimony payments if proven to be a willful violation, and he or she has the ability to pay.

With proper representation, you can be reimbursed for lost payments, and in extreme cases, there is also the possibility of court sanctions or jail time.

Has the Other Parent Moved Away with Your Child?

While missed support payments may be the most common reason to file a contempt action, a complaint for contempt may also be filed if the other parent moved far away with the child without seeking prior approval. In some instances, this may be seen as a kidnapping case — but more often than not, enforcing your custody order through a contempt action is the fastest solution to restore order and get the time you are entitled to have with your child. A court may also order the other parent to return to Massachusetts with the child.

Don’t Wait to Get Started

The longer you wait, the more damage the other parent’s actions may cause, and the harder it may be to rectify the situation. Work with a lawyer who cares — call the Watertown office of Linda Sternberg, Esquire, at 617-454-4705 to speak with us one-on-one about your case, or reach out online to set up an in-person consultation today.