Successfully Handling Family Law Issues
For More Than 35 Years

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Spousal Support/Alimony

Alimony And Spousal Support In Massachusetts

Alimony (also known as spousal support) laws in Massachusetts changed in 2012. Spousal support is now divided into reimbursement alimony, transitional alimony, rehabilitative alimony or general term alimony. General term alimony is subject to durational limits based on the length of the marriage and can be terminated upon retirement or cohabitation. Rehabilitative or transitional alimony are available to support a spouse temporarily until he or she can become financially independent. The Alimony Reform Act also gave some payors the ability to seek a modification of some previous alimony orders based on the change in the laws.

If you need assistance with your alimony payments or receipt, the attorneys at Linda Sternberg, Esquire, have the skills to help. We have more than 35 years of collective experience as family law attorneys in Watertown helping clients resolve spousal support issues to meet their current and future needs. Contact Linda Sternberg, Esquire at 617-722-8300 to set up your initial appointment.

Factors in Determining Spousal Support

Massachusetts courts consider multiple factors in determining whether one party will have to pay alimony to the other, how much alimony should be paid and how long the payments should continue. These factors include the length of the marriage, the needs of the recipient spouse and the ability of the payor spouse to pay. The court will also consider the assets that each party will have after the divorce is final. If the court awards alimony and medical insurance coverage is available, the court can also require the provision of insurance coverage.

No matter what type of support issues you face, we are Massachusetts divorce lawyers with the experience to help you navigate the system.

Contact Us to Hire an Alimony Lawyer in Watertown

As your lawyers, we can help you establish an initial order for support and health insurance coverage, modify a temporary order or final judgment, or enforce an existing order through contempt proceedings.

To seek help regarding your financial support following a divorce, please contact the law firm of Linda Sternberg, Esquire at 617-722-8300.