Successfully Handling Family Law Issues for More than 30 Years
Post-Judgment Actions

Boston Modifications Attorney

After the final divorce or paternity decree is entered by a judge, it may be necessary to modify the judgment. The laws in Massachusetts permit parties to seek modifications in the event of a material change in circumstances. This may be due to financial changes, relocation, re-marriage, negative lifestyle choices, or a change in the parenting plan impacting the well-being of a child. Post-judgment actions such as modifications, enforcements, contempt or removals require the assistance of a knowledgeable and seasoned attorney. As an attorney with more than three decades of experience, I provide quality and professional legal services for my clients throughout Massachusetts. This includes all matters and procedures related to post-judgment actions.

Contact Linda Sternberg, Esquire, for a consultation regarding your particular post-judgment action.


Modifications can be sought in many areas of the law, including:

Child Support

An existing child support order can be modified if the existing order is more than 3 years old, if you lose your job, if there is a substantial change in income or the parenting plan, or other substantial and material change in circumstances, and it is in the best interest of the child. In the event of job loss, substantial change in income or medical/health issues, it is important to seek a modification as soon as your circumstances change.

Child Custody and Removals

Child custody or parenting plan agreements can be modified as well, particularly in situations of relocation or a substantial change in the needs of the child. When either parent is seeking to relocate (especially out of state) advance parental approval or court permission is required. Otherwise, if a parent relocates or removes a child without obtaining consent of the other parent or court approval, he or she could be held in contempt.

Unfortunately, situations also arise involving drug/alcohol abuse, domestic violence, child abuse or neglect. These are exigent circumstances that require immediate attention by law enforcement and an experienced attorney. Seek my help as soon as possible if the safety of you or your child is in jeopardy.

Enforcements and Contempt

If you find yourself frustrated due to a former spouse or other parent skipping or making late support payments or other late payments, you can seek enforcement of the original order. A payor spouse or other parent can be held in contempt of court for missing child or spousal support payments if proven to be a willful violation. In extreme cases there is also the possibility of court sanctions or jail time.

To set up an appointment, contact my law firm. I will answer all of your questions related to your divorce decree, child custody and support issues.

Linda Sternberg, Esquire
10 Tremont Street, Suite 200
Boston, MA 02108

Phone: 617-454-4705
Boston Law Office Map