Successfully Handling Family Law Issues for More than 30 Years

Boston Paternity Attorney

If you are the parent of a child born out of wedlock, I can help you seek to establish parental rights, including a determination of paternity, custody, visitation, and parenting plan rights. I can also help you request child support and medical insurance coverage for your child.

As a family law attorney in Boston with more than 30 years of experience, I can help you resolve such issues as establishment of parental rights, child support payments, custody and visitation rights, and parenting plans for unmarried parents.

If both parents acknowledge the father, the couple can establish paternity at the hospital. If there is a question about who the father is, you can establish paternity through genetic testing. Once paternity has been established, the court will use child support guidelines to determine what the support needs to be, and whether the child support is paid by the mother or the father. The court will look at the best interests of the child to determine custody and visitation rights.

If you believe that you are the father of a child but did not file any papers at the hospital, I can help you establish your paternity. If it is determined that you are the father, the court can enter custody, visitation, and support orders in the best interests of the child.

A child in Massachusetts is entitled to financial support and medical insurance from the date of birth. However, if paternity is not established until a later time, the court has discretion as to whether or not past support will be ordered. Once a child support order is established, it cannot be modified retroactively. For these reasons, if you are seeking to establish or modify a child support order, it is important to file a support action with the court as soon as possible.

Children are entitled to financial support until they are emancipated, which usually occurs at age 18, 21, or 23 in Massachusetts, depending on the child's circumstances and whether the child is in school.

Child support and visitation/parenting time are not dependent upon one another. If you are a mother or father who wants visitation, I can help you petition the court for visitation/parenting time.

For a strong and caring advocate in your paternity matter, contact Boston family lawyer Linda Sternberg.

Linda Sternberg, Esquire
10 Tremont Street, Suite 200
Boston, MA 02108

Phone: 617-454-4705
Boston Law Office Map