Successfully Handling Family Law Issues for More than 30 Years

Boston Guardianship Attorney

Guardianships are a method of obtaining legal custody of, or decision-making authority over, another person. There are many types of guardianship actions. As your lawyer, I, Linda Sternberg, can help you seek guardianship of a minor, a disabled adult child, an elderly person or a mentally ill person.

I have more than 30 years of experience helping people in the Boston area obtain all types of guardianships and conservatorships to care for loved ones who are not competent to care for themselves. Contact my Massachusetts law firm for a consultation regarding your loved ones who are unable to make their own decisions on a temporary or permanent basis.

Helping You With Your Minor Child's Legal Needs

I help grandparents, relatives, friends and stepparents obtain legal guardianship over children when the parents are absent, deceased or unable to care for their children for any reason. A guardian of a minor can obtain custody of that minor and have the legal authority to make most of the decisions a parent would make.

A guardianship of a minor can be for a limited time or until the child reaches 18. Unlike adoptions, guardianships do not terminate the parent-child relationship. A parent can consent to a guardianship without a finding of parental unfitness.

Caregiver Affidavit

A caregiver affidavit authorizes a parent or parents to appoint another person to make concurrent decisions with the father or mother regarding education and health care for the minor for a period of up to two years.


While a guardian can handle personal decisions for another, a conservator must be appointed by a court to control financial decisions. If a loved one has become unable to make decisions regarding finances because of physical or mental illness, I will help you draft the appropriate documents to ensure their financial interests are protected. Conservatorships are also used to manage personal injury rewards and or inheritances received by children under the age of 18.

Adult or Elderly Person Guardianship

I help an increasing number of people obtain guardianship over siblings or elderly parents who have Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia, mental illness, or physical incapacity. Typically, a guardianship is necessary when the person has not nominated a health care agent or executed a power of attorney. If there are disagreements regarding placement or medical care, however, a guardianship may be needed even when an individual has nominated a health care agent or has designated an attorney-in-fact under a durable power of attorney.

Adult Child Guardianship

Parents may need to obtain a court-ordered guardianship of a developmentally disabled child after the child reaches the age of 18 in Massachusetts. This authorizes the parents to make placement and medical treatment decisions. Once a child reaches the age of 18, he or she has the right to make decisions about health care and where to live, even if the child is not competent to do so.

Roger's Guardianship

I often represent individuals in actions to become guardians in Roger's cases. A Roger's guardianship enables the guardian to obtain specific authority to make decisions for extraordinary medical treatment of an incapacitated person. Extraordinary medical care includes invasive medical care, treatment with antipsychotic medication, or withholding life-sustaining treatment.

Contact Me for Information on Hiring a Probate Lawyer in Boston

No matter what type of guardianship or conservatorship issue you face, I can assure you that your concerns will be heard, and I will work with you to achieve the best solution. To set up a consultation, contact my law office.

Linda Sternberg, Esquire
10 Tremont Street, Suite 200
Boston, MA 02108

Phone: 617-454-4705
Boston Law Office Map